Lactic sourdough bread: I call this loaf ” lactic sourdough”
because this loaf has full of lactic acid.
I treat my sourdough starter as levain. You can read how I made my sourdough starter from scratch just using flour and water here.
Ingredients: To make two loaves.
Levain 315g ( My dough hydration is about 68-70% )
KA AP 810g * King Arthur All purpose flour
Freshly ground Rye berry seeds 50g
Vital gluten 8g
Water ( Spring water is the best) 526g +
Instant yeast 1-2 g * No need to add the yeast in the summer.
- Mixing Add all the ingredients to the mixing bowl except the salt.
- Mix until incorporated, then leave it for 5 minutes.
- Add the salt and knead until the dough have a moderate gluten development.
- Bulk fermentation: 3-4 hours until the dough rises triples.
- In 45 minutes, Folding: Stretch and fold the dough on the surface once after 45 minutes of bulk fermentation.
- Dividing and shaping: Divide the dough in the half and shape.
- Final fermentation: Approximately 1 -2 hours at 76F.
- Baking : preheated at 280F, increased the temperature to 430F as soon as you place the dough in the oven, put the metal wire underneath the bread, continue to bake for 10 minutes at 430F. Decrease the temperature to 400F, bake another 5-10 minutes until golden browned.
I have used this knife since 2010, and it has still worked as new yet.