The best way to eat this sandwich loaf is toasted. It is very light and slightly sweet.
Japanese sandwich loaf ( 1 loaf)
My Pullman size:23cmx10.5cmx10cm
Ingredients: Bakers %
- 90 g King Arthur bread flour 23.7 %
- 290 g King Arthur All purpose flour 76.3 %
- 4 g instant dry yeast 1 %
- 19 g sugar 5 %
- 19 g shortening 5 %
- 120 g water 31.6 %
- 83 g milk 21.8 %
- 1 large egg ( Approximately 50g) 13.2 %
- 6 g salt 1.58%
Total 681g 179.18%
1. Mix the flour, yeast, sugar, and add the salt at the last, then mix it well.
* If you have a stand mixer to knead the dough, I will recommend this method.
2. Add all the ingredients in the dry ingredients and mix.
3. Knead until you pass the windowpane test for 20 minutes.4. Bulk Fermentation: Ferment the dough in the container that is coated with shortening or oil for 1.5-2 hours at the room temperature. The dough will rise 2.5 times in bulk at the end of the fermentation.5. Preshape and Shape : For a mountain sandwich loafFor a standard sandwich loaf:Preshape :1 ) Make a round ball on the work bench after taking out the dough from the container.2) Bench time: Cover the dough with a damp towel and rest for 30 minutes.3 )Shape: Very lightly flour ( I use 50% rice flour / 50% King Arthur All purpose flour mix) the work surface, press and flatten it gently using a rolling-pin to make a rectangle. The width should be less than your loaf pan’s width like the picture below. Otherwise, you can’t fit the dough in your loaf pan when you mold!4) Roll the dough from your side. *Not too tight and not too loose when you roll the dough so that there is no excess air in the dough.* Point: Take a look these pictures. I made 2 loaves in the same time, but I shaped it differently.The left picture is overstated.* The bread on the right has a big hole around the top.6) Mold the dough in your loaf pan: The seam is on the bottom.6. Final proof: Proof the dough at 82 F for 1.5-2 hours until the dough rises 3/4 inch over the top of the Pullman.7. Bake : Preheat 438F . Reduce the temperature to 400-410 F and bake for 30 minutes, or use ” Cold oven” method. Brush some melted butter on the top of the loaf when it is baked.