I probably made this loaf more than 70 within a year, and now I make it once a week at least. I am always happy to have this loaf, which is just like the one used instant yeast, but doesn’t have yeasty brewer smell, which I really don’t like.
Japanese sandwich loaf with raisin yeast water
Mountain sandwich loaf
Standard sandwich loaf
You can click on the PDF↓ to see in a larger size.
1. Make the levain: Mix them thoroughly and leave it at the room temperature at 24℃/75F for 12 hours. It will rise tripled in volume by the next morning.
2. Mix the final ingredients except the salt — Autolyze( leave it at the room temperature) for 30 minutes.
I highly recommend to use the way to have good crumb.
3. Add the salt and knead until the gluten developed ( Pass a window pane test )for about 20 minutes by hand, Or try my kneading method that I linked above.
Example: take a look at these crumb.
4. Bulk fermentation :* 3-11 hours at 24-26℃ /75F-78F around. ( 2.5-3 times in volume) colder temperature in the summer,warmer temperature in the winter.
* Note: This is not about the time, it is all about how much your dough rise before you preshape the dough. If your dough is very slow to rise, just wait until it is ready. Long bulk fermentation makes flavorful bread.
5.Preshape & shape: For a standard sandwich loaf . For a mountain sandwich loaf.
* I like the Standard sandwich loaf shape better than the mountain sandwich loaf ‘s for levain bread because the mountain sandwich loaf is given a lot of pressure to the dough during the shaping and the dough gets tougher, therefore, the texture is like eating cotton candy ( shredding ) because natural yeast doesn’t have strong yeast as much as commercial yeast .
6. Proof About 2 hours at 28℃ /82F until the dough rises little over the top of the tin. If you don’t want any sour flavors to your loaf, Don’t proof your dough over 2 hours! I bake it in 2 hours for non sour sandwich loaf.
If your dough is slow to rise, it may be good to retard it as long as you like sour bread. But, please read ” Warning about retarding a sandwich loaf” at the end of the post.
7. Bake : No need to preheat :
1) Spray water 2-4 times around the wall of the oven and place the loaf pan into the oven.
2) Set up 284 F and bake for 20 minutes.
3) Set up 410F and bake for 15 minutes.
4.Rotate the loaf 180 degree and bake 10 more minutes until golden brown.
More detail about “ Cold oven ” method.
Standard loaf /Cold oven method
For preheated oven method: Preheat 410F and bake for 20 minutes at 410F. Rotate 180 degree the loaf pan, bake more 15 minutes. Place the loaf on a oven rack until completely cool.
This crumb and crust are really soft. I don’t taste raisins at all, that I really like just like a regular sandwich bread.
Koubo by Akiko is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License.