It is pretty easy to make homemade butter, and it tastes so much better than the stored one. My 13 year-old son started it at first. He pour about 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream in a small jar that is sterilized, then shook it for 20 minutes around until it separates the butter ( solid) from the buttermilk ( liquid). Then he squeezed the excess buttermilk from the butter and covered the butter with plastic wrap very tightly and refrigerated it. He dumped the liquid ( buttermilk) at this time. We didn’t know about the liquid was buttermilk!
I use a stand mixer or hand mixer because I can make homemade butter and buttermilk within 10 minutes.
How to make homemade butter and buttermilk
- Heavy whipping cream ( as much as you want )
- 1.5-1.6 % salt as to unsalted butter’s weight if you want to make salted butter.
1) Pour some heavy whipping cream in a bowl and beat the cream at 10 speed ( highest speed ) until it curdles.
2) Place the butter into a cheese cloth ( or linen cloth ) and squeeze out any excess buttermilk . Don’t throw the liquid, it is real buttermilk.
3) Gather all the butter and put in plastic wrap and wrap it up very tightly and refrigerate it.
you can add 1.5-1.6% salt as to the butter’s weight and knead until incorporated is you want to make salted butter.
Don’t forget to refrigerate the buttermilk, too!