A week ago, my oven broke and I was ready to bake a whole wheat sandwich loaf with my sourdough starter at the time. So, I put the dough in the freezer as soon as I shaped it.
7 days, that I kept the dough in the freezer.
The 7th day was when my oven was fixed, I transferred the dough to the refrigerator from the freezer to thaw gradually for 24 hours.
Then, I left the dough at the room temperature at 68F for 6 hours before baking.
The result: It was not bad at all surprisingly,rather than that, it was really great. I really like the flavor and looks. It came out dense like a rye loaf, and the taste of the bread was also like a rye loaf with a bit of keen sourness, but very sweet with full of complex flavor. The crumb has volume but soft.The color of the crumb was darker than usual and not blistered, which interested me.
Here is the ingredients and method that I haven’t posted here. This recipe is what I have worked on for a while to complete.
Whole wheat sandwich loaf: ( This total amount is over weight to mold in my loaf pan, So, I have to decrease the amount of the dough.)
Levain( Prefermented dough / Old dough): 200g sourdough starter
6g Arrowhead high vital gluten flour
115g King Arthur bread flour
300g King Arthur whole wheat flour
45g heavy cream
Method ( How I made):
- Mix all the ingredients.
- Autolyze: 30 minutes
- Knead by hand until the dough was gassy, elastic and smooth. I didn’t use a stand mixer to make softer crumb at this time.
- Bulk fermentation: 5 hours until the dough rose tripled.
- Preshape and rest for 30 minutes.
- Proof: Freezed for 7 days.
- Proof: Transferred it to the refrigerator for 24 hours.
- Proof: Room temperature at 68F for 6 hours.
- Bake : 475F for 12 minutes with steam/ 425F for 8 minutes/ 400F for 30 minutes/ Shut off the oven and open the door a little bit/ leave it on for 7 minutes.
* I am not good at slicing bread. Please give me any advice if you have.