This cracker became my husband’s life saver to keep his blood sugar level stable. It has very nutty flavor from 100% whole wheat flour and the raisins give more nice flavor to it. This recipe is adapted from Ron who is one of TFL members. I couldn’t figure out how to make such a crispy cracker without his formula. Thank you, Ron!
100% whole wheat cracker
Preferment dough: ( Mix all the ingredients and knead the dough until incorporated. Ferment 12 hours at the room temperature.
- Raisin yeast water + alcoholic raisins 120 g 66.7 %
- *Home made Rum raisins 60 g 33.3%
- King Arthur whole wheat flour 180 g 100%
* How to make home-made rum raisins.
I dump some alcoholic raisins that are discarded from ” Raisin yeast water
” in the container, and add some sugar and stir until combined. Keep it in the refrigerator. I put some sugar in the container whenever I have the discarded alcoholic raisins. Stirring it once a week is enough.
- The preferment dough 360 g 100 %
- King Arthur whole wheat flour 216 g 60 %
- Salt ( I use Kosher fine salt) 7.1 g 1.97 %
- Butter 99 g 27.5 %
Note* Baker % is always total flour =100%, but I use this way to easy to calculate it. I often make this cracker whenever I have some left over raisin yeast water after using for bread.
- Mix all the ingredients and put the dough in a Food processor and run for until all of the raisins are smashed. ( I divide the dough in a half and run the food processor because the dough is too tough to run in the machine.)
2. Knead the dough by hand on the work bench for 10 -20 minutes. This dough is tough. It is okay to stop kneading even though the dough is not smooth. * Don’t add any liquid to make crispy crackers.
3. Put the dough in the plastic bag and ferment it for 6-8 hours until the dough is soft, and about 20% lighter than the dough when it is just fermented. * The dough may not rise much so that you don’t have to worry about.
4. Preheat oven 375F. Press down the dough to flatten by hand, and make a 2-3mm thick square using a rolling-pin.
5. Cut any shapes as you like with a pizza cutter or pie cutter whatever you have. Make some holes in the each crackers using a fork. Place the shaped dough in a baking sheet that over the parchment paper.
6. Bake 14-16 minutes at 375F until golden brown.They will be crispy when they are cooled, but if some of them are still soft, you can put them back in the oven and bake more 3-5 minutes at 350F. * Every oven temperature is vary so that you better adjust your oven temperature to get the right temperature for it.
Koubo by Akiko is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License.