English muffin with raisin yeast water + alcohol raisins.
I tested this English muffins without the alcohol raisins, it came out flavorless. They are one of our breakfast menu once a week.
Alcohol raisins are in the raisin yeast water like this picture below.
The raisins in the jar is alcohol raisins.
( 7-8 English muffins)
- Raisin yeast water ( from refrigerator) 65g *My refrigerator is set up 6℃
- King Arthur All purpose flour ( KA AP) 65g
- King Arthur Bread flour 300g
- water 170g ( DDT 76F)
- Honey 8g
- *Shortening or vegetable oil 12g
- Salt 5g
- Corn meal and 50% King Arthur All purpose flour and 50% white rice flour mixture for dipping
Note *Shortening – Soft crust. It is easy to bite off– I like it better. Vegetable oil – it will be harder crust.
* I dip the 50/50 flour mixture for the top , white corn meal for the bottom.
1. To make the levain—-Put the raisin yeast water and alcoholic raisins in a container.
2. Add the King Arthur All purpose flour and mix with a plastic spatula and leave it at room temperature at 70-74F for overnight.
3. Next morning( 12 hours later) : My levain rose tripled in bulk.
4. Put the levain in a food processor and run for 30-40 seconds until the raisins are smashed well.
5. Mix the levain and final dough except the salt and the shortening( Sorry this picture is old -I used 12g vegetable oil at the time)– Autolyze 20 minutes– Spread the dough on the surface and add the salt and the vegetable oil in the dough and combine well and knead the dough until you pass the window pane.
6. Divide it into 7 or 8 pieces. ( About 7 for 70g each /8 for 83 g each )— Bench time 15-20 minutes ( Cover them with plastic wrap or dump towels)
7. Shape and Proof: place the dough on a baking sheet with parchment paper. —Proof :3-4 hours
I dip the bottom in some white corn meal first,
and ,dip the top in some 50% King Arthur All purpose flour /50% rice flour.
—-Preheat the oven at 350F 20 minutes before baking.
8. 4 hours later.
Note: When you transfer the dough, You might find out it is difficult.. I do this way:
9. Preheat the hot plate at 350F. Cook one side for 2-3 minutes until yellow golden and flip over the other side to cook 2-3 more minutes until yellow golden as you achieve the crust color.
10. Bake at 350F for 10 minutes and cool them on the rack.
Note: My yeast water’s strength –100% yeast water levain : flour = 1: 2 is fermented in 6 hours. I bake these English muffins in 5 hours after kneading the final dough. * 6 hours -1 hour =5 hours. I am trying to bake them 1 hour before it is fully fermented. I got the kind of idea from Mini oven. Thank you, Mini !
* I used 177g water instead of 170g water on the final dough in January.