RSS

Test- Freezing a loaf

19 Oct

A week ago, my oven broke and I was ready to bake a whole wheat  sandwich loaf with my sourdough starter at the time.   So,  I put the dough in the freezer as soon as I shaped it.

7 days, that I kept the dough in the freezer.

The 7th day was when my oven was fixed, I transferred the dough to the refrigerator from the freezer to thaw gradually for 24 hours.
Then, I left the dough at the room temperature at 68F for 6 hours before baking.

The result: It was not bad at all surprisingly,rather than that, it was really great. I really like the flavor and looks. It came out dense like a rye loaf,  and the taste of the bread was also like a  rye loaf with a bit of keen sourness, but very sweet with full of  complex flavor. The crumb has volume but soft.The color of the crumb was darker than usual and not blistered, which interested me.

Here is the ingredients and method that I haven’t posted here.  This recipe is what I have worked on for a while to complete.

Whole wheat  sandwich loaf: ( This total amount is over weight to mold in my loaf pan, So, I have to decrease the amount of the dough.)

Ingredients:

Levain( Prefermented dough / Old dough):   200g  sourdough starter

Final dough:

6g  Arrowhead high vital gluten flour

115g King Arthur bread flour

300g King Arthur whole wheat flour

250g  water

45g heavy cream

4g honey

6g molasses

14g shortening

Method ( How I made):

1. Mix all the ingredients.
  2. Autolyze: 30 minutes
  3. Knead by hand until the dough was gassy, elastic and smooth. I didn’t use a stand mixer to make softer crumb at this time.
  4. Bulk fermentation: 5 hours until the dough rose tripled.
  5. Preshape and rest for 30 minutes.
  6. Shape.
  7. Proof: Freezed for 7 days.
  8. Proof: Transferred it to the refrigerator for 24 hours.
  9. Proof: Room temperature at 68F for 6 hours.
  10. Bake :  475F for 12 minutes with steam/ 425F for 8 minutes/ 400F for 30 minutes/ Shut off the oven and open the door a little bit/ leave it on for 7 minutes.

* I am not good at slicing bread. Please give me any advice if you have.

Creative Commons License
Koubo by Akiko is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License.

About these ads

10 Comments

Posted by on October 19, 2012 in Test-Freezing a loaf

10 responses to “Test- Freezing a loaf

1. 4akitchenblog

December 6, 2012 at 12:36 am

Akiko-san,

Hajimemashite.
    I ran across your blog via “The Fresh Loaf” when I was looking for a high hydration baguette recipe.
    I just would like to tell you thank you for sharing your precious experiments and recipes and how your blog is interesting and amazing!
    I have been working at the pastry industry for a long time, but baking bread is kind of new to me.
    Actually, I lost my passion for baking the past couple of years…however, recently (I mean, finally!) I have been obsessed with baking…BREAD!
    Since I am a self-taught bread baker, sometimes I need guidelines on what I am supposed to do. And, here is your blog! It is like a bible of baking bread!
    I am looking forward to reading more your articles!

Best,

Yuko

• Akiko

December 8, 2012 at 3:38 am

Yukosan,

Oh my goodness.. You made my day totally! I don’t know how to describe how happy I am!
      Baking bread is really fun, isn’t? I think that baking bread is sometimes like more science,and sometimes more like miracle ( because I can feel the natural power! ) to me.
      I saw your blog! That is really very neat and nice! Nice scoring! Your hot dog buns is also very interesting. I’d like to try the healthy version’s hot dog buns.
      Now, I am working on 100% no gluten bread for my friend who can’t eat any kind of flour that contain gluten. Yappari, Gopan wo tsukuroukanaa.. :P Hopefully I can post it soon.. :)
      Happy baking, Yuko san!
      Akiko

2. 4akitchenblog

December 13, 2012 at 7:27 am

Akiko-san,

Thank you for your kind reply!
    I am encouraged by your message and have been baking bread everyday :-)

I am posting my comment here, because I would like to ask you a couple of question.
    I truly appreciate if you could answer my question whenever you have time.

Today, I baked “Chocolate sourdough bread”.
    I used the recipe of Emmanuel Hadjiandreou, who is the author of the book called “How to make bread”. The original recipe calls for currants and chocolate chips, but I used chopped hazelnut and dried cherries instead.
    Anyway, the bread itself came our nice, and I was very happy! So, I decided to convert each ingredients into Baker’s percentages.

For Levain built
    102 g Whole Wheat Flour
    102 g Water
    10 g Sourdough (Mature) Culture ————————————————————-
    For the final dough
    170 g Liquid-levain (44 g for future use)
    330 g Bread Flour
    20 g Cocoa powder
    250 g warm Water
    8 g Sea Salt
    100 g Dried cherry
    60 g Hazelnut ( chopped, toasted )
    ————————————————————-
    Overall Formula (Baker’s Percentage)
    Bread Flour 432 g (100%)
    Water 352 g (81%)
    Salt 8 g (2%)
    Cocoa Powder 20 g (5%)
    Dried Cherry 100 g (24%)
    Hazelnut 60 g (14%)

If my math is right, the total hydration of this recipe is 81%. Does it sound right to you? Or should I think “Cocoa powder” as “flour”??? Or my math is wrong… :-(
    It was not sticky like 80% hydration baguette, and it was really easy to shape it.

Thank you for sparing your precious time.
    I am looking forward to hearing from you!

Yuko

• Akiko

December 13, 2012 at 12:31 pm

Hi Yuko,
      Thank you for asking me about your baking. :) I am learning from you seeing your nice blog!
      Your chocolate sourdough bread sounds delicious. I have seen the bread that MC posted on her blog –

The hydration is right. I think that your dough is not sticky because whole wheat more water absorb water more than white flour. And the salt % is 1.9% and the dried cherry % is 23% if I am not mistaken.. I make a lot of mistakes so don’t trust me. I am not good at math.
      I am looking forward to seeing your another post on your blog. :)
      Cheers,
      Akiko

3. 4akitchenblog

December 13, 2012 at 6:19 pm

Akiko-san,

Thank you for answering my question!

I just calculated the percentages of the salt and the cherry again, and you are right! My brain might be too tired to focus on math yesterday :-) I spent almost a whole day to sort out the meanings of “pre-ferments” or “sourdough starter” or ” Culture” or “Ripe Levain” or…. these confusing words!

Also, thank you for the website info. That blog is very helpful and interesting!
    I tasted the chocolate sourdough bread this morning and I think I should’ve add the chocolate chips. The dried cherries works nice but the chocolate flavor is a little weak…so, I definitely will use the chocolate chips next time!

Have a great day!

Yuko

• Akiko

December 14, 2012 at 10:02 pm

I understand how you feel! I did the same thing before, even now! :)
      I am glad that the blog is helpful. I like her blog.
      Thank you for your experiment of dried cherries with the sourdough. I am going to put it on my baking list now.
      Thank you too!!
      All the best,
      Akiko

4. 4akitchenblog

December 29, 2012 at 7:59 pm

Hi Akiko-san,

I hope all is well with you :-)
    Have a happy new year to you and yours!

Warm regards,

Yuko

• Akiko

December 30, 2012 at 8:10 pm

Yuko san,

Thank you for your kind words, Yuko san!
      I also hope that you and your family will have a happy New Year too!

Best wishes,
      Akiko

5. Yippee

February 27, 2013 at 4:18 am

Akiko:

Just stopping by to say ‘hi’. Hope all is well…..

• Akiko

February 27, 2013 at 2:28 pm

Hi Yippee,

Thank you for stopping by!
      I still bake bread everyday,but I haven’t posted in here for a while.

How have you been up to?
      I hope you and your family are doing well too! :)