RSS

Rustic bread with raisin yeast water Ⅱ

03 Feb

After I posted ” Rustic bread with raisin yeast water Ⅰ“,  and I really like  the one with instant yeast, which is more like Jefferey Hamelman’s Pain Au levain as our daily sandwiches. Especially my 5 year old daughter who likes only white bread is fond of the bread, even it has sour flavor.

But I wanted to make the one without instant yeast.  I started to think of converting sourdough starter to raisin yeast water and I made 16 loaves without instant yeast to fit into the rustic bread with raisin yeast waterⅠwith instant yeast water, and  I finally made it.

Rustic bread with raisin yeast water Ⅱ

You can click on the PDF↓ to see  in a large size.

Method:

1. Mix the levain  and ferment it for 12 hours at the room temperature.

After 12 hours: the dough rose tripled.

2.Next morning: Mix thoroughly  the levain and the final dough ingredients except the salt and  leave it for 30 minutes at the room temperature ( Autolyze).

3. Add the salt and knead the dough on the surface until it gets gassy and elastic for 5-6 minutes. The dough temperature – 70F after kneading.

4. Bulk fermentation:  About *7 hours until the dough rises close to tripled.

* Note: This is not about the time, it is all about how much your dough rise before you preshape the dough.  If your dough is very slow to rise, just wait until it is ready.  Long bulk fermentation makes flavorful bread!

Folding: Stretch and fold the dough on the surface only 1 time after 45 minutes of bulk fermentation.

After 4-5 hours: it rose close to tripled.

5.Preshape and bench time: Preshape lightly into a round ball and rest the dough at the room temperature for 30 minutes.  You can upside down the bowl that the dough was fermented to cover the dough for the bench time.

6. Shaping:   I will post it how to shape into an oval shape as soon as I take pictures of the process.

7. Final proof  (retarding):  Ferment the dough at the room temperature for 30 minutes until the dough started to lose the shape. And Retard the dough for overnight ( keep the dough in the refrigerator). Next morning: proof at the room temperature at 65-70F for 1 hour or so.

8. Final proof (without retarding) and  Preheat 465F :  About 2 hours at the room temperature around 70F.   Please watch the dough when it is ready to bake.  I don’t think a finger test is reliable.  It didn’t work for me.  I am still thinking about the dough how to determine the timing.

* I use a big stainless steel bowl to make steam.  The stainless steel bowl should be preheated before baking, too.

9. Scoring and baking: Bake at 465F for 12 minutes with the stainless bowl. Take the bowl out and lower the oven temperature at 425F  and bake more 8 minutes, then lower the oven temperature at 400F and put *a cooling rack under the bread and  bake more 25-30 minutes until golden brown.  *  I use the cooling rack while baking loaves because I don’t like the bottom of loaves burned.

Score the dough as you like…  I didn’t a good job on the scoring.

Take  the hot stainless bowl out of the oven at first, and slide the dough into the oven and put the hot stainless steel bowl back into the oven USING YOUR GLOVES THAT DON’T SLIP when you hold it.

The crumb is as soft and fluff as the rustic bread with raisin yeast waterⅠ with instant yeast water.

This bread tastes sour very gradually whenever I chew.  The mild sourness remains at the end of eating with wheat aroma.  Very nice bread.

Creative Commons License
Koubo by Akiko is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License.

Tags: , , ,

15 responses to “Rustic bread with raisin yeast water Ⅱ

1. Sanda Steeber

February 3, 2012 at 10:17 pm

Everyone loves what you guys are usually up too. Such clever work and coverage! Keep up the superb works guys I’ve incorporated you guys to my own blogroll.

• Akiko

February 4, 2012 at 1:41 am

Hi Sandra,
      Thank you for your kind words, which I really appreciate for. I would be great to have somebody to study for bread together. I am blogging all by myself, however, I am learning from a lot of great home bakers and some books.

2. Carmen Miskelly

February 4, 2012 at 8:46 pm

I wanted to follow along and allow you to know how really I liked discovering your blog today. I would consider it a honor to operate at my company and be able to utilize the tips shared on your web-site and also get involved in visitors’ responses like this. Should a position of guest article writer become available at your end, make sure you let me know.

• Akiko

February 6, 2012 at 2:18 am

Hello Carmen,
      Thank you very much for your very kind words! Certainly your comment made my day. Thank you so much!

3. Walter Orvin

February 5, 2012 at 12:06 am

Its good as your other content : D, thanks for putting up.

• Akiko

February 6, 2012 at 2:33 am

Hello Walter,
      I really appreciate for your kind words! This bread is a big hit for my family and friends so that your words made me happier. Thank you!

4. K

February 9, 2012 at 12:42 am

Hi Akiko,

Do you like the flour? or Do you taste any differences at all in your breads?I really love your write up. Tired after cooking/baking for 40 some people for a gathering….need rest.

• Akiko

February 9, 2012 at 2:50 am

Hi K,
      Yeah, I love the wheat flour!
      “Do you taste any differences at all in your breads?” You mean that is between Rustic bread Ⅰwith instant yeast and Rustic bread Ⅱ ?
      It is pretty similar, but The Rustic bread Ⅱ has more flavor. The texture is the same. Thank you for your generous words! Oh my goodness, I can’t cook and bake for 40 people!!! You should sleep right now. :) Great work, K~!

• Akiko

March 13, 2012 at 1:15 am

Hi Cheap Wbsite Design,
      Thank you for stopping by and your kind words. By the way, Your website is impressive. Very well designed.

5. Exercise Video Reviews

March 16, 2012 at 3:04 pm

Congrats, I simply happened your web site along with wished to say that We have truly appreciated browsing your website blogposts. We’ve subscribed to the supply and that i hope you publish once more quickly!

• Akiko

March 20, 2012 at 4:01 pm

Hi Exercise Video Reviews,
      Thank you for your kind words, which I really appreciate for. Hopefully, I can post another one soon. Thank you again!

6. Inspirational Quotes

March 22, 2012 at 1:46 am

Great goods from you, man. I have understand your stuff previous to and you’re just extremely wonderful. I actually like what you have acquired here, certainly like what you are saying and the way in which you say it. You make it entertaining and you still care for to keep it wise. I can’t wait to read much more from you. This is really a terrific web site.