I have worked on this bagel for a long time until now. I have a strong thought on Bagel that I really care for. The crumb should have strong volume not soft one. I used to stomp the dough using my feet to knead the dough because the dough is tough. But now, I use a food processor to knead the dough, which is easier for me to work with.
Bagel with raisin yeast water
- 107g raisin yeast water ( The raisin yeast water should be rested in a refrigerator for a day after making or refreshing)
- 134g King Arthur bread flour
- 134g cold water ( Ice cold water in the summer )
- 400g King Arthur bread flour
- 16g honey
- 6.9g salt ( I use sea salt )
* Some molasses – For boiling water.
1. Mix all the ingredients except the salt, and 5-10 minutes later, you can add the salt.
* if you use ” Autolyze” for 30 minutes, the bulk fermentation time would be shorten.
3. Let the dough rest on the surface for 5 -10 minutes. The dough should be covered with plastic wrap.
7. Bench time: Cover the dough with a saran wrap or damp cloth for 15 minutes.
9. Proof : Cover the bagel dough with plastic wrap and proof at the room temperature for 2-3 hours until you pass the this test: Put a bagel dough in water, and it floats right away, the dough passes the test. So you can bake the bagels now.
10. Boil the water and dipping the bagel dough: Pour some water just enough cover the bagel in a pan and pour some molasses and boil the water. Preheat the oven at 410 F.
12. Bake 16 minutes at 410 F until golden brown.
* For the bagels with toppings: Flip them over so that the topping side should be on the bottom and bake them at 410F for 3 minutes, then open the oven and flip them over again that the topping side should be on the top now and bake them fro 13 minutes until golden brown. ****This method makes the both side’s crust equal and thin, and the topping will stick on the bagel.
My daughter made a funny bagel that is on the right.
This bagel is sweet and the taste has more flavor from the levain.
I use some whole wheat flour in the levain to make whole wheat bagels sometimes. But my kids prefer this bagels to the healthier ones.